Teamsters Local Union 879 was originally started as a General Truck Drivers Union on September 21, 1945. It operated out of Hamilton, Ontario as that until it merged and became Teamsters Union Local 879 on September 19, 1968.
The founding Executive Board of the Local comprised of Ray Taggart, Gordon Prodger, Joe Contardi, William Oswald, Arnold Wilson, Royce Arnold, Dan McIlravey.
The Local moved from it’s original office on James St. in Hamilton to the New Teamsters Hall on Parkdale and Rennie where we stayed until 1999. The Teamster Hall on Parkdale was synonymous with Labour and even though it has been purchased by another Union it will always be known as the Teamsters Hall.
In November of 2013, we moved out to Stoney Creek on the Service Road where we could be seen by all driving down the QEW whether going to Niagara or Toronto bound.